Jul 2

A few months with Titanium Appcelerator

Category: mobile

For the last few months as a part of my university studies I have been writing up some course materials for a mobile device workshop. The document that I ended up writing for that grew much more than what I expected (over 100 pages) and barely scratches the surface of the topic. However this is more a review of Titanium Appcelerator.
Read more

23 comments

Jun 19

iOS, web apps, native and back again

At Apple’s World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC) in 2007, Steve Jobs came on stage to announce a launch date for the very first iPhone and to announce how developers would build applications for the iPhone. His announcement was that his suggested way of developing for the iPhone was to write web apps (it is a couple of minutes in). So what was the reaction to that?
Read more

No comments

Feb 1

Month in review: January

January for me was an interesting and varied month. Here is a quick look back at what I got up to in the month.
Read more

No comments

Feb 1

Today: 01-FEB-2011: Android unable to operate in enterprise?

Today was the nail in the coffin of the Samsung Galaxy S that I use at work to do Android based testing of the library’s future work in the mobile area. The device is a stock device running Android 2.1 (Samsung’s updater app cowardly refuses to upgrade it to 2.2 for some reason) however as the device is for testing and since it has WiFi built in I’ve decided to use that. It isn’t connected to the cellular data network (or even have a SIM card) and this has lead to some interesting problems.
Read more

1 comment

Jan 28

VuFind, Single Sign On and authentication!

The other day I finished up the work I had been doing for the the last week or so on integrating the different solutions for authenticating users at USQ. This evening I finished up the plugins and services required to handle authentication via USQ’s custom single sign-on (SSO) system (“USQAuth”), USQ’s single sign in (SSI) system (Oracle Internet Directory with an LDAP interface) and USQ Integrated Library System, Virtua) so that they all play nicely together. Something that one would think should be relatively easy to do turns out to be a non-trivial task.
Read more

1 comment

Jan 23

Your user knows where they live

Category: web

Lately I’ve come across this curious trend of web sites that try to second guess where I live. As someone who has moved into a new unit in a new suburb I get interesting suggestions to say the least.
Read more

2 comments

Jan 23

Location services gone wrong

Category: web

So in the last two days I’ve ventured onto the websites of Bunnings and Harvey Norman. Both sites use location services to help you to vary degrees but both really suck at it.
Read more

No comments

Dec 4

Adding a new dataset to ePrints 3.2

Category: eprints

For the last week or so I have been digging around ePrints 3.2 and been trying to work out how to add a dataset. I’d done this previously with the author ID project however ePrints 3.2 advertises that is has user defined datasets. It has to be said that adding a new dataset is easier said than documented – not to mention done. But I figured I’d document how I managed to get it to work.
Read more

1 comment

Sep 19

Joomla! 1.6 and WebPI

Over this weekend (Friday evening and Saturday) while watching the AFL Finals I got to work building a script to convert the standard Joomla! 1.6 beta packages into a format that would work with Microsoft’s Web Package Installer (WebPI). Early Sunday morning I managed to get everything done to the point that a Joomla! 1.6 package is automatically converted, stripping out the install and sample data scripts on the fly and reprocessing them as well as updating a WebPI feed XML file that you can use.

The long and the short is if you want to test out the latest Joomla! 1.6 beta release (beta 9 at the moment), all you have to do is add our own custom feed to the Web Platform Installer!
Read more

No comments

Sep 15

Today: 15-Sep-2010: Are we there yet?

Category: today

Today was an interesting day with the actual deployment of the DiReCt (EQUELLA) 4.1 system at USQ. It has taken far too long for this to happen and is I believe over a month behind where I had wanted everything to be deployed. But such is life. The last minute changes and the resultant litany issues that were generated by them which became almost recursive have for the most part been resolved (not so recursive now are we!). There remains some backend stuff that isn’t behaving properly but that will come in time and I have a feeling that something somewhere is breaking but I’ll get around to fixing it – one has to move on with these things. The new environment is behind load balancers, is running SSL by default (load balancer handles that) and I wrote some code that handles rewriting the path to be the new path that was picked. This is a bit of TCL that I retaught myself to get working properly with the F5 load balancers. Other fun things happening involve attending meetings with different people about ePrints related work and slowly getting closer on the world peace project.

No comments

« Previous PageNext Page »