Today was marked by my completion of my token login project (now working properly!) and playing with the internet creating dial up NAT’d networks and playing with IPv6 and 6to4 services.
So I finally sat down and built up my token login component that handles issuing tokens, revoking tokens and also provides a landing point so that users can use it to redirect to the right place and get the user to login in addition to the SSO system. I’ve added a ‘landingpage’ field to the table definition and I’m using this field to allow validated tokens to be redirected to the right place for the user as well as supporting a supplied redirect for situations where the landingpage is blank or to redirect the user to a location when they’re authentication fails. I made a few modifications to the library to add features and fixes to the plugin for few changes I made to the library that impacted on the way it worked. So now there are two options, use the component stand alone or use the SSO plugin as well. Either way the component is needed to create the tables and manage the tokens that are in there, however the library provides the ability to issue and revoke tokens on its own. So I’ll do some final testing on it tomorrow and its now ready for release. I’ll have to build a tool around it to provide the something useful for the original poster who was interested in it which might require a bit more effort – the original poster was after a CommunityBuilder plugin, so I may end up just giving information on how to get things up and running and leaving it there for the short term.
Moving back onto the home front today I’m back online albeit with dial up – but its a start. It certainly beats typing up blog posts on my iPhone (which whilst not too bad it is very hard to type fast especially considering that I can touch type so its immediately a speed loss). I had a Linux box floating about that I used as a testing box at the old house (its called pie) however I knew it wouldn’t have the dialer software that I would need to connect to the net, so I went and grabbed wvdial’s Debian packages and its dependencies however I forgot that I didn’t have ppp installed on the box – so I managed to get everything installed except for wvdial since it needed ppp. After a quick drive I grabbing ppp and minicom and installed the two and then worked on getting internet working. I found the dial in number using my iPhone on my ISP’s website, I grabbed the username and password off the ADSL model and configured wvdial with my old dial up modem (I haven’t used it for years). I managed to get online which was good, and then all I needed to do is start reconfiguring the network settings on the box. I had to reset the default route (it was still using the one for the ethernet network from the ADSL modem), enable forwarding and set up iptables to do masquerading. From here I configured my Mac to share the connection it had via ethernet to pie (double NAT for the win!) and managed to get both my iPhone and my girlfriends Mac OS X laptop to connect really easily. My housemates Windows XP laptop appears to be giving resistance complaining that the network isn’t ready and generally not wanting to connect to it for some reason. To be honest I gave up trying to get it to work in the light of everything else working fine.
So now that I have a public IPv4 address on my Linux box I’ve also decided to give running 6to4 on it to get to IPv6 services. Initially my searches didn’t look promising with posts on Whirlpool however I found a tutorial from a Kiwi company that I’ve followed through and is working perfectly, you can check it out at http://www.anyweb.co.nz/tutorial/v6Linux6to4. Some of it is very easily copy and paste though some parts require a bit of work and local knowledge but all in all quite easy to follow and now I can connect to ipv6.google.com however it doesn’t work behind the second NAT created by my Mac. Not quite sure what else is out there however its been interesting to prove that I can create a 6to4 service and that it works properly routing packets. With any luck I’ll be back to ADSL in another 2 weeks or so – dial up is so painfully slow but an improvement on no net at all.No comments
Leave a comment